Modern Farmhouse Oak Dining Table Part 1 - Table Top // How To - Woodworking
So here it is folks, Part 1 of the long awaited Modern Oak dining table that I've been talking about for over a year now. When I really got going, it went pretty fast but the hardest part of starting this project was coming up with the thick legs.
This vlog series will be either 2 or 3 videos depending on if I can fit all the footage into just another video without making it super long. Don't forget to subscribe and click the bell icon on my channel so you get the alert when I post the next video.
I started out this build by making a trip to Harwood Specialties located in Lexington, KY. This is a hidden gem of a wood supply warehouse with tons and tons of nice wood and in all species. Somehow I was so set on Oak due to it's durability. Once I had all the wood back to the shop I started to cut it down to the general size I would need for the table length. I knew I wanted to stay in the 90" range but this ended up being closer to 91". I figured why cut it down it's only an inch difference so I kept it. I used my Makita track saw to get them cut most of the way through but the blade depth didn't quite make it and I finished it off with my Japanese pull saw. I stored them on my wood rack for a good 4-6 months and then started milling. I didn't store them that long on purpose I just had other projects that got in the way.
The milling of this wood was a task and I had several stumbling blocks along the way, a couple being that my Jointer decided to have several issues in a row. I think from now on I'll plane my wood some prior to running through the jointer since I think some of the wood roughness may have caused the chipping in my carbide inserts. Once I had the jointer back to normal and had the first face and 2nd faces flat, I made the 3rd face parallel and then the 4th I just ran through the jointer again since these were too big to go through the table saw. I have seen some folks plane the narrow face of a board but I opted not to. I milled all 6 boards to 1 1/4 inches in width which would be my final width for the table. When you are milling it doesn't seem thick enough but after you get so far and the pieces are together, it's a nice thickness and not too extremely heavy.
After all the milling which took several weeks, I started glue up. Let me tell you this is not an easy task to glue up 6 boards 91" long and as heavy as oak is. Alignment was a must for this situation so I used my biscuit joiner by first marking lines to keep the biscuit holes lined up when I started applying glue. I jumped right into glue up and recruited my son and one of my daughters in the process and they enjoyed participating, and why not? I think they deserve to feel like they were a part of building this table. Someday they will look back and know they helped with a heirloom. I did glue ups 2 boards at a time and then glued the 3 larger sections in 2 final glue ups. I ended up having to put this on the floor of my shop and if you decide to do a similar table you'll probably have to do the same as this table is most likely larger than any workbench you have. The floor glue up worked out nicely and once dried the table top was done except for sanding. Stay tuned for my next videos on next steps for the table and you'll not want to miss how the table looks when finished, not to mention how I attached square legs to each corner.
If you didn't catch it, watch through the video and find out how I came up with my ~W~ hand gesture! Love it and I've enjoyed making it part of my brand. Hint - my son was involved in this one! I hope you enjoyed Part 1, look out for Part 2 in the next couple weeks if not sooner!